Landmarks - Sagitarius

Go to content

Main menu:

Landmarks

The Kyustendil museum has gathered an extremely rich collection of materials for 130 years of work.   Parts of these historical artifacts are displayed in the following exhibitions:
    The permanent archeological exposition of Regional Archeological Historical Museum is set up in the mosque "Ahmed bei", built in 1575, a cultural monument of national significance. It includes more than 800 exhibits from the whole region of Kyustendil. The exhibits presented and the broad chronologic range they encompass give the visitor the opportunity to get information on the cultural-historical development of the region and to get deep back into the centuries - from 7th - 6th century BC till 14th century.
    The restored house of Ilyo Markov, one of the renowned figures of the National liberation movement, hosts an exposition called: "The National Liberation fights of the people from Kyustendil. Focus is given to the battles from the XV century up to the Liberation, as well as to the people's contribution to the national liberation and unification of the Bulgaria in the late XIX and early XX century.

    The Emfiedzhieva house is an architectural monument from the Bulgarian Revival period. It is situated in the old Kyuestendil residential district Losenets (Bagluck). The museum exhibition "Urban Life and Culture of the Kyustendil population from the end of the XIX century to the beginning of the XX century" is hosted there. You can see the typical interior, furniture and household utilities of the urban houses, belonging to the better-off part of the intelligentsia or to rich and famous Kystendil families.
    In 2002 the ambassador of Israel, Emanuel Zisman, and Kyustendil   Municipality implemented a project for the restoration of Dimiter Peshev's house and its turning into a museum. The permanent exhibition with original belongings, photos and facsimiles tells the story of what happened in March 1943 and of the worldly acknowledged merit of Dimiter Peshev and his fellow-citizens form Kyustendil, who contributed to the salvation of the Jews in Bulgaria.

    The art gallery in Kyustendil, which is named after the most significant Bulgarian artist of world fame, was established in 1959, and in 1972 it moved to an especially made for it modern building. The art gallery in Kyustendil, which is named after the most significant Bulgarian   artist of world fame, was established in 1959, and in 1972 it moved to an especially made for it modern building. The gallery has the major and largest collection of unique works of Vladimir Dimitrov the Master, set-up in a permanent exposition. It keeps and organizes regular exhibitions of other eminent artists from Kyustendil like St. Venev, K. Tsonev, M. Bentsionov, N. Mirchev, As. Vasilev, and others. Performances of modern authors from Kyustendil, visiting, anniversary and thematic exhibitions are organized in the hall for temporary exhibitions. Annually, the gallery gives its halls for the closing part of the International plenary meeting "St. Luka", which takes place in Kyustendil every October.

    The medieval defense tower in Kyustendil known under the name of Pirkova Tower is situated in the central part of the town near the Roman therms.
    The name "Pirkova" comes from the Greek word 'pirogs', which means 'tower'. This defense   tower is considered to have been built at the end of 14th century and the beginning of 15th century. Professor Yordan Ivanov compares the Pirkova Tower in his book "Northern Macedonia" to the defense towers in Vidin and he assumes that they date back to this very period. The tower has an almost square shape, sized 8,25 meters by 8,35 meters and is 15 meters in height. It has a ground floor and 3 other floors above, the third of which, in one of its halves, is divided in two semi floors. The ground floor functioned as storage. On the first floor there is a northern overarched entrance, a stone fireplace in the southern wall, which was used for heating, as well as two loopholes. The second floor was used for living. It has a fireplace, a niche, 3 vertical and 2 round loopholes and a gallery with a place for sanitary needs. The third floor was used for circular defense. The Pirkova Tower gives evidence of the architectural and building techniques used in the defense system in the medieval town of Velbazhd. The tower is a monument of national importance.

    The Asclepion of Pautalia is an impressive Roman spa and shrine, dedicated to the god of health Asclepius, built in 2nd-3rd century. The whole building occupied an area of 3500 square metres. Large premises with a heating system, water pipes, architectural fragments and etc. have been discovered. It is located in the foundations of today's buildings of Chifte Banya and the Ahmed Bei Mosque.
    Bishop's church "Virgin Mary's assumption" is situated in the central part of the city in the immediate vicinity of the central square. It was built in 1816 in place of the medieval church "St. Nicola". According to the design there is a dug-in one-apsis pseudobasilica, which has three naves and wood backing. The northern and western narthex, candle works and an ossuary were built in 1933. The church is an impressive monument of the Bulgarian Revival art. It has altar holy gates to the women's section (16th- 17th centuries),   preserved icons from the beginning of 19th century ("St John of Rila's Assumption" by Toma Vishanov, "St Todor Tiron", "St. Todor Stratilat"), an iconostasis and frescos painted by Ivan Dospevski. The church has been declared an architectural and art monument of national significance. It is currently a temple as well.
    "St. George" Church from the XII century, is situated in the Kolusha residential district is by far the pearl of the medieval architectural and art heritage.

 
Back to content | Back to main menu